1. Cabinet cleaner. Use Dawn soap and warm water or try this: https://www.homedepot.com/p/Rejuvenate-24-oz Cabinet-and-Furniture-Cleaner-RJ24CC/206414597 2. Scouring pad, Microfiber towels
4. Drop cloths
5. Painters tape
6. Screw gun
8. Solo cups
9. Sandpaper or sanding blocks, medium and fine grit 10. Mixing sticks
12. Wood filler. Try this https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000BPLXEQ/ref= ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
13. Paint brushes (3)
14. Primer. 1 quart. Try this
15. Chalk Paint. 4 quarts. Try this
https://www.houseandcanvas.com/ Enter promo code Zhoosh for $5 off.
16. Polyurethane. 1 quart. Try this
17. Table, tabletop or cleared counters
18. Hardware template. Try this
1. Clean cabinets using supplies 1-3 above. Focus on removing dirt, debris, and grease. This is a VERY tedious but important step. I do not recommend taking short cuts. They will compromise the quality of your outcome.
2. Label each door using supplies 5 and 7 from left to right (e.g. 1-15, and U for upper). Move on to labelling drawers (e.g. 1-8). Then label doors (e.g. 1-12, and L for lower). Finally, label supply 8 using supply 7 to correspond for each upper and lower. These cups will house hardware. Remove all doors and drawers using supply 6.
3. Clear counters, cabinets and drawers and lay supply 4 on counters and floor to avoid dust and paint drips.
4. Lightly sand cabinet frames, doors, drawers using supply 9.
5. Fill any holes, cracks or damaged surfaces on cabinet frames, doors, drawers using supply 12. Sand areas filled until smooth to touch. This concludes prep work which is usually 2/3 of the time spent.
6. Prime cabinet frames, doors, drawers using supplies 13, 14 and 17. Allow drying time per primer instructions. Optional step.
7. Paint cabinet frames, doors, drawers two coats of paint using supplies 13, 15 and 17. Allow drying time per paint instructions between coats.
8. Repeat step 4.
9. If needed, paint a third (especially if using a light color) or “touch-up” coat using supplies 13, 15 and 17. Allow drying time.
10. Seal cabinet frames, doors, and drawers using supplies 13, 16 and 17. Recommend two coats. Do not overbrush and allow enough drying time between coats.
11. Once everything is dry, begin re-installing doors and drawers using supplies 6 and the contents of supply in 8.
12. Add hardware if desirable. If you need to drill holes for hardware, I highly recommend supply 18 to ensure professional grade, frustration-free results.
Financial and Time Commitment:
Expect to spend approximately $150-200 on supplies and 70-75 hours for a kitchen consisting of 27 cabinets, 10 drawers, and drilling to add hardware. To speed up the process and NOT lose motivation, I recommend a team of 2-4 people.
Outsourcing Your Project to Professionals
Zhoosh Décor is an option if you’re not comfortable DIY. We work in the DC, MD and VA metro area. We offer FREE consultations and quotes. For a quote, please send pictures of all of your cabinets and drawers, along with pictures of your countertop, kitchen walls and floors to Jessica.email@example.com. Please include color(s) you’re considering and whether you’re interested in adding hardware. Please allow 24 hours for generation of your quote. We look forward to helping you TRANSFORM your family’s kitchen!